As a result of legislative changes to NHRS statutes in 2011, benefit eligibility, pension calculations, and whether certain types of pay are reportable to NHRS vary based on a member’s vested date or hire date.
Different benefit provisions are applicable to:
- Tier A: Members vested prior to 1/1/2012
- Tier B: Members in service prior to 7/1/2011 but not vested prior to 1/1/2012
- Tier C: Members hired on/after 7/1/2011
Note: There are a small number of members hired on/after 7/1/11 who became vested by age prior to 1/1/12. These members are considered Tier A/C.
Here are some examples of how tiers work:
- A police officer who commenced service on 2/15/03 is … Group II, Tier B
- An employee who commenced service on 8/17/87 and was vested on 1/1/12 is … Group I, Tier A
- A teacher who commenced service on 9/1/11 is … Group I, Tier C