More members retire in July than any other month. Below are some resources and information that may help you in your final steps towards retirement.
How can you apply for retirement?
- Fill out the application packet electronically. Application packets can be submitted electronically through the NHRS online portal My Account
- Print the application packet from the NHRS website
and return it to NHRS via email, USPS, or drop-off at our office.
- Call (603) 410-3500 or Email
the NHRS office and request an application packet be sent to your mailing address; return to NHRS via USPS or drop-off at our office.
- Request an appointment
with a Member Benefits Specialist. The application packet can be filled out during the appointment.
Follow the filing deadlines…
Apply within the filing period
- In order to start collecting your pension, NHRS must have your application at least 30 days, but no more than 90 days, prior to your effective date of retirement. Your effective date is always the first of a month. The filing period for a July 1, 2022 retirement date is April 2, 2022 – June 1, 2022.
Terminate your NHRS-covered employment
- Members must terminate their employment before their retirement date comes into effect. If you are still working on your effective date of retirement, you will still be considered “in service” and the retirement system won’t be able to put you on the payroll to pay your pension benefit.
We are here to help…
Attend a ‘How to Fill Out a Group I Application Packet’ webinar
- This presentation will provide instruction on how to fill out an NHRS Group I Retirement Application Packet for Service Retirement. Much like an in-person appointment, the presenter will help to prepare you for retirement by assisting you with completing the application packet via a live demo. Click here
to see a full list of scheduled webinars.
Call for assistance in filing the application
- The NHRS Contact Center is available Monday through Friday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM to answer any questions you may have regarding your benefit or if you need help in completing the retirement paperwork. Call or email the Contact Center at (603) 410-3500, firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the “Members Approaching Retirement” page on the NHRS website
– We have gathered all the information you need to know as you approach retirement in one spot, including several informational brochures, a recorded presentation, and a list of the documents needed to file for your retirement.