Federal Tax Information

Jan 19, 2022

2021 Form 1099-Rs were mailed to all retirees and beneficiaries in late January. If you did not receive your 2021 1099-R, please contact NHRS at 603-410-3500, Press 1. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Note: NHRS mails the 1099-R to the current address on file.

In addition, electronic copies of Form 1099-R are currently available to view and print on My Account, the retirement system’s online portal. 

A Form 1099-R is an IRS form that reports a taxpayer's distributions from pensions  and/or other retirement plans. Form 1099-R reports the gross distribution, any taxable amount applicable to that gross distribution, and any portion of federal income that was withheld, as well as other tax information. 

Learn more

Retirees and beneficiaries who would like to access their Form 1099-R electronically can sign up for My Account at: www.nhrs.org/my-accountMy Account provides retirees with access to personal data such as account balances, beneficiary designations, year-to-date retirement benefit summaries, deductions, direct deposit status, and federal withholding information. Because NHRS uses a secure, two-step process for setting up a new My Account, retirees who want to create a new account will not be able to download their 1099-Rs immediately. 

New and existing My Account users experiencing technical issues can click here to view our My Account troubleshooting guide.

Questions about insurance premiums: As a result of IRS reporting requirements tied to the Affordable Care Act, NHRS receives a number of tax-related inquiries from retirees looking for the amount of insurance premiums withheld from their pension benefits. This information is not reported on IRS Form 1099-R.

NHRS advises retirees to contact their former employer or third party administrator (TPA) (i.e., HealthTrust, SchoolCare, etc.) to confirm the amount paid for health insurance for 2021. The amount shown on NHRS earnings statements available online may not be accurate if there were any premium adjustments made directly between the retiree and the former employer or TPA during the year.

* * *

NHRS is providing this general information as a courtesy to our retirees. If you have additional tax questions, you should consult with the IRS or your tax advisor. The retirement system cannot provide advice regarding federal income tax issues.